The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Head of Administration & Director General’s Deputy Representative, for Ethiopia, to oversee the day-to-day operational management of all business support units and facilities that support CGIAR and ILRI’s research activities and operations on the ILRI campus in Addis Ababa.
ILRI works to improve food security and nutrition, and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 11 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, ILRI has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa.
Leadership and Strategic Planning:
- In partnership with the ILRI Director General’s Representative in Ethiopia drive the development and implementation of strategic plans and supporting tactics to achieve agreed-upon objectives for the ILRI Ethiopian campus and operations.
- Develop and execute annual business planning that considers financial and risk management, capital projects, and business solutions that improve the administrative business support services in Ethiopia.
- Collaborate closely with the ILRI Chief Operating Officer to improve, modernize, and optimize operational and administrative processes and business units.
- Lead and manage the administrative business units in Ethiopia including Housing, Catering & Conferencing Services; Engineering and Facilities Management; National Liaison Office; Supply Chain – Procurement & Stores and Transport, Security; as well as coordinate at the local level the Information and Communication Technology (ICT), Finance, and Communication & Knowledge Management (CKM) units and People & Organizational Development,
- Collaborate with the leaders of ILRI’s Corporate Services and People and Organizational Development units to promote accountability through effective and innovative systems, policies, procedures, and capacity enhancement processes and methods that improve efficiency productivity, preservation and security of people and assets in Ethiopia.
- Manage service delivery of all the business support service units in Ethiopia by developing service level agreements (SLA’s) and operational level agreements (OLA)s, ensuring compliance with SLA’s, monitoring indicators, collecting information for decision-making, reviewing processes, seeking feedback from customers, solving problems and managing external providers.
- Build and strengthen cross-cutting team relationships and coordinate responsiveness of all Ethiopian business support units on interdisciplinary issues, particularly related to minimizing bottlenecks and promoting efficacy & innovation, crisis management, problem-solving, and high-level event planning.
- Manage appropriate administrative relationships with other international research centers, NGOs, international organizations, and foundations who partner with ILRI in Ethiopia.
- Support the Institutional Management Committee, as required, to develop and evaluate alternate models of delivering shared services to all organizations (particularly other CGIAR Centers) hosted by ILRI on the Addis Ababa campus
Deputy Director General’s (DG) Representative to Ethiopia:
- Supporting the DG’s Representative to Ethiopia to provide campus and country leadership on matters of concern related to the campus, environmental stewardship, security, public health and safety.
- Represent the DG’s Representative to Ethiopia in public relations and liaison activities and national institutions and other institutions having programme, or other linkages, with ILRI in Ethiopia, including CGIAR organizations hosted by ILRI in Ethiopia.
- Perform any other related duties as may be required
- Master’s degree in business administration, finance, economics, management, commerce or relevant field and relevant professional certification
- Fifteen years’ relevant management experience in comparable organizations.
- Institutional infrastructure planning of added advantage
- Ability to identify, assess, and develop creative solutions to complex strategic and operational challenges.
- Strong people / team management skills.
- Ability to navigate a wide range of operational issues including legal, IT, financial, and HR.
Post location: The position will be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
This position is at job level HG 21 and it is open to both national and international applicants. The position is a three (3) year contract, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funding. ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes medical and other insurances.
Applications: Applicants should send a cover letter and CV expressing their interest in the position, what they can bring to the role, and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development through our recruitment portal by clicking on the "Apply Now" on this page before 22 January 2023. The position title and reference number: REF: CS/11 /2022 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the online application.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the high volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts
ILRI is an equal opportunity employer.