The Bundles Innovations for Women’s Empowerment work package (WP 2), co-led by the Alliance of Bioversity and CIAT (ABC), is meant to design and collect systematic evidence on whether and how STIBs (Socio-Technical Innovative Bundles) can enhance women’s empowerment and resilience to later design and implement context-specific and gender-responsive STIBs. We intend to build on available and relevant CGIAR and non-CGIAR innovations through learning labs to enhance their uptake and impacts via enhancing women’s access, resilience and empowerment.
The Alliance of Bioversity International – CIAT is seeking to recruit a qualified person to fill the vacancy of the Senior Research Associate to lead project activities of HER+ in Kenya and Ethiopia if the case arises. The Senior Research Associate will support work on developing an inventory of available gender, and socio-economic datasets, data and tools that could facilitate bundling. He/she will assist in developing a toolbox with different datasets, to guide the designing, implementing and evaluating context specific STIBs by developing guidelines on processes, partnerships and strategies that enable women’s access to climate-smart technologies, resilience and empowerment. Lastly, produce research articles, reports and guides with new evidence and synthesis on designing and deploying context specific STIBs and associated good practices and tools from existing learning labs within and external to the CGIAR.
Support the Inventory of available gender, and socio-economic datasets, data and tools that could facilitate bundling.
- Support review of academic literature in the areas of socio-technical bundling.
- Conduct qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis where necessary.
- Write and produce reports, research papers, briefs, executive summaries, study summaries, and blogs for internal tracking, website and external channels.
- Organize events such as workshops and seminars.
- Demonstrates quantitative analysis skills using statistical software packages like STATA, R, or SPSS.
- Write minutes for internal and external meetings.
- Competence to collaborate with partners (public and private sectors).
- Work experience in the agriculture and/or aquaculture sectors.
- Assist in fieldwork in Kenya and other African countries.
- Support other gender-related work as needed/requested by the Gender and Social Inclusion Expert in Nairobi.
- Master’s in gender studies, agricultural economics, anthropology or any social science
- Three years of relevant work experience.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with advanced written and verbal communication in English language and a local dialect in Kenya.
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary and multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to liaise with other project implementing multi-disciplinary teams.
- Ability to do multiple tasks under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Must be able to work independently with minimum supervision, but also participate as a team member in the accomplishment of duties.
- Strong ability to coordinate, prioritize and organize workload; take initiative and work under pressure.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Commitment to Alliance of Bioversity International and CIAT’s mission and core values
This is a nationally recruited position based in Nairobi, Kenya. The contract will be for two years period, subject to a probation period of three (3) months and is renewable depending on performance and availability of resources. The Alliance offers a multicultural, collegial research
environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits; we believe that the diversity of our staff contributes to excellence. The Alliance is an equal opportunity employer and strives for staff diversity in gender and nationality.