The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Research Associate to support with immunoassays (such as ELISA, IFNy-ELISpot and FACS) and also with basic molecular biology assays (e.g., cloning, conventional PCR and qPCRs).
ILRI works to improve food security and nutrition, and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 11 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, ILRI has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa.
- Follow good laboratory practices and assist in laboratory trainings.
- Perform laboratory procedures including preparation of chemicals/reagents/media according to Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and work instructions.
- Development of SOPs and improvement of existing SOPs, including independent literature research as required.
- Processing and storing of ex vivo samples as per study protocol and keep inventory up to date using excel or LIMS software
- Perform immunoassays such as ELISA, neutralization assays, IFN-y ELISpot and FACS analysis.
- Growth and characterization of pathogen stocks (e.g. African swine fever virus) and determination of titers of these stocks (eg by TCID50, HAD50 or qPCR).
- Cell culture work following hygienic and sterile procedures
- Coordinate with other departments to ensure that laboratories and equipment are in good working order
- Perform any other related duties as may be required.
- Bachelor’s degree in biotechnology, biochemistry, molecular biology, animal science or other relevant field
- Master’s degree would be an asset, but is not a requirement
- Five years relevant experience
- Good theoretical background in immunology and molecular biology.
- Experience and knowledge in immunoassays, molecular biology, cell culture and FACS analysis.
- Good computer skills in Excel, Word, Power Point and Teams.
- Understanding of good clinical practices (GCP) and good laboratory practices (GLP)
This position is at job level HG12 and it is only open to Kenyan nationals. The position is a 3-year contract, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funding. ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes pension, medical and other insurances.
How to apply: Applicants should send a cover letter and CV expressing their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development by clicking on the "Apply Now" tab above on or before 14 January 2023. The position title and reference number REF: AHH/776/2022 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants' bank accounts.
To find out more about ILRI visit their websites at http://www.ilri.org