Action Against Hunger-USA is part of the Action Against Hunger International network, which provides humanitarian relief in over 40 countries worldwide in the sectors of nutrition, health, water/sanitation, and food security. Action Against Hunger-USA, an independent NGO, currently manages operations in 7 countries: Ethiopia, Haiti, Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda and Action Against Hunger-USA has over $60 million in programs, and approximately 1,600 permanent staff based in New York City, Washington D.C, Nairobi, and country offices. Additional growth is anticipated.
Summary Of The Position
As a member of the Action Against Hunger Knowledge and Innovation Hub in the Horn and Eastern Africa Regional Office, the Regional Food Security & Livelihoods Manager will provide technical and operational support to the Food Security, Livelihoods, Resilience and Disaster Risk Management. He/She will be part of the broader Food Security & Livelihoods (FSL) initiatives at regional levels while ensuring consistent and meaningful representation of the organization in sector specific regional and whenever feasible country level fora.
- Provision of technical leadership and support to all countries within Action Against Hunger-USA in program design, planning, development and management.
- Provide regular FSL technical advice for regional and multi-country program implementation.
- Support in the development of FSL strategies and approaches as part of regional strategy.
- Facilitate the identification of innovations and research opportunities together with the country program team and research team.
- Ensure secondary analysis of existing or proposed programs to ensure relevance, impact, viability, sustainability and quality of the action.
- Support and follow-up on budgets and beneficiary count in collaboration with Regional Finance and M&E Specialists respectively
- Ensure documentation, capitalization and dissemination of program experiences, statistics and lessons learned
- Support in the validation of all FSL HoDs job descriptions, recruitment and onboarding processes
- Provide technical supervision and ensure compliance on FSL policies, strategies, position papers, guidelines and manuals
- Support the countries as gap filler in the absence of FSL Head of Department or upon request from the country office.
- Provide leadership in the development of regional FSL proposals and concept notes.
- Articulate FSL position to our network members (ACF Germany, Spain, Canada, UK, Italy andBelgium) and promote regional, multi-country or cross border programming.
- Participate in donors’ meetings interested in supporting multi-country FSL projects.
- Ensure multi-country/regional FSL Projects adherence to the organizational and donor rules, regulations and standards.
- Organize for field visits and support quality FSL project implementation.
- Ensure quality checks and controls, standards and program objectives are achieved within thelifespan of the projects.
- Support countries in the development of assessments tools (Cost of Diet, Household EconomicAnalysis, Market system, Value Chain Analysis, Resilience Analysis etc).
- Participate in country related meetings and ensure coherence, interaction and integration with the technical and strategy frameworks.
- Provide country program support in validating technical FSL parts of donor proposals developed by country teams, ensuring technical applicability, coherence, feasibility,appropriate budgets, etc.
- Provide technical review and validation of FSL projects’ narrative and financial reports.
- Participate on project kick-offs, pre- and post-award meetings
- Prepare FSL materials based on donor priorities to support our country team during donor discussions
- Master’s degree in food security, Agricultural Education and Extension, Agricultural Economics, Agribusiness Management, Food Policy and Applied food science, socio politics, or related disciplines.
- At least seven years’ experience in food systems, nutrition sensitive agriculture, Livelihoods and Resilience.
- Experience working in humanitarian and development contexts, recovery and rehabilitation as well as with national governments, regional bodies, UN agencies and INGOs.
- Excellent knowledge of technical fields related to Food Security & Livelihoods that includes excellent working knowledge of food security, Market systems and nutrition sensitive resilience.
- Sound analytical and technical competence in the subject matter of food security and livelihoods, Climate resilience, food system and Market System Development.
- Field experience in FSL programming, including agro ecology, value chain analysis, income generation, emergency food assistance, COD, HEA, etc.
- Strong analytical and writing skills essential.
- Knowledge and experience in assessment and research methods.
- Strong organizational skills and technical review/writing of detailed technical documents.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills.
- Capacity to represent the organization in various fora.
- Genuine interest in and commitment to the humanitarian principles of Action Against Hunger
Action Against Hunger-USA provides all staff with an attractive salary & benefits package. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees & qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Action Against Hunger-USA complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.