The Alliance of Bioversity International (www.bioversityinternational.org) and the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) (www.ciat.cgiar.org) delivers research-based solutions that harness agricultural biodiversity and sustainably transform food systems to improve people’s lives. Alliance solutions address the global crises of malnutrition, climate change, biodiversity loss, and environmental degradation.
With novel partnerships, the Alliance generates evidence and mainstreams innovations to transform food systems and landscapes so that they sustain the planet, drive prosperity, and nourish people in a climate crisis.
The Alliance is part of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food-secure future.
The Alliance Climate Action team is looking for a motivated and high performing Project Leader - ICTs for Agricultural Adaptation (ICT4AA) to lead a portfolio of research projects and activities on knowledge management for digital solutions for agricultural adaptation. The Project Leader will manage a global portfolio of projects and activities, with particular emphasis in Latin America. The Project Leader on ICTs for Agricultural Adaptation will be managing a portfolio of activities that seeks to advance knowledge management around digital systems to enhance impact at scale. A significant focus of this position will be on leading the design and implementation of frameworks that improve the data–to–impact workflows and pipelines across projects that focus on climate adaptation. The Project Leader will oversee project implementation, raise bilateral funds, working together with the leadership team of both the Climate Action and the Digital Inclusion Levers. The incumbent will engage in projects ‘end-to-end’; that is, from project conception and design through to implementation, monitoring, and impact measuring, seeking to understand digital ecosystems in the countries where we work, and leverage CGIAR (digital) innovations and knowledge to achieve impact. This means the Project Leader will be working toward deploying scalable and sustainable digital services and tools that serve stakeholders at different levels for climate change adaptation.
Knowledge management around digital systems and ICTs is an area of work for the Alliance in need of substantial development. This means that the Project Leader will use their specialized expertise on ICTs and Knowledge Management to implement projects, address research questions, manage a team, and seek to expand their work across new countries and regions. The Project Leader on ICT4AA will be working closely with the global leaders of (1) the Data Science for Climate Action group, (2) the Digital Climate Action group, and (3) the Digitalization of Food Systems group, and leverage on their work, expertise and existing research teams to implement the ICT4AA project portfolio. The incumbent will also work strategically with Lever Directors on regarding program directions and new partnerships. To achieve proposed objectives, the incumbent will be mentoring junior staff members, managing a portfolio of projects and activities, and contributing to and leading the development of (bilateral) project proposals.
We consider the Alliance and the CGIAR work on ICTs for agricultural adaptation as strategic to contribute to reducing climate risk, reducing poverty, improving food and nutrition security, and scaling sustainable agricultural solutions. This role will the potential to start positioning the Alliance as a global leader in the area of digital innovation for agricultural adaptation, constantly seeking novel ways in which Alliance research can contribute to impact at scale through digital innovation. The role will have the opportunity to work within a multicultural and multidisciplinary team, distributed across the world in many countries in Latin America, Africa, and Asia. We expect this position to focus primarily (although not only) on our portfolio of projects in Latin America, seeking to transform the way we do R4D in agricultural adaptation using digital solutions. Since the position is global, the Project Leader will also integrate with colleagues in other regions, especially in Africa, and lead projects and activities outside of Latin America as opportunities arise.
In the role, the incumbent will use their specialized expertise in digital services, knowledge management, data science, team and project management, to deliver project- and portfolio-level outputs and outcomes. The work has the potential to transform how we manage knowledge and innovation systems around scalable and impactful digital solutions for climate action. She/he will work collaboratively with colleagues across a wide range of disciplines including crop improvement, agronomy, climate and crop modeling, geographic information science, social science, economics, environmental science, amongst others. We work with a wide range of global, regional, national, and local partners to implement project activities that build the capacities of countries and farming communities to respond to climate variability and climate change, and scale sustainable agricultural practices and food system technologies.
- Lead a portfolio of projects within the Digital Climate Action sub-lever on ICTs for Agricultural Adaptation, managing a growing team and portfolio of activities around ICTs and knowledge management for climate action.
- Positioning the Alliance in this area of research and action, addressing knowledge and innovation systems for scalable and impactful digital solutions.
- Lead the design and implementation of project activities on digital climate information services and ICT development with a primary (but not only) focus on Latin America, seeking to strengthen digital ecosystems and creating innovative impact pathways and partnerships with both private and public actors.
- Develop and mainstream knowledge management strategy for digital innovations and deploy the software systems to implement such strategy across all Alliance regions.
- Lead the development of Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning frameworks and systems around digital climate information services and other types of agricultural advisory systems for climate adaptation, sustainable intensification, and food security and poverty alleviation.
- Building scientific evidence on how digital innovation and enhanced knowledge management can accelerate impact at scale.
- Contribute to the establishment of partnerships and lead the design of digital solutions that unlock sustainable intensification and enable the provision of climate-informed advisory services at scale. Interact with private and public sector stakeholders to identify business models for the sustainability of these digital solutions.
- Lead the development of strategies for capacity development and sustainability around those digital solutions.
- Lead and contribute to the writing of peer-reviewed papers, technical notes, and project reports.
- Stay up to date with the most recent literature on digital innovation, knowledge management, climate impacts and adaptation, and climate-informed digital advisory services.
- Lead and contribute to project proposal writing and bilateral fundraising.
- MSc degree in ICT for Development, agricultural science, environmental science, geography, agricultural development, with an understanding of digital solutions, and sustainable intensification and climate adaptation in agriculture.
- Substantial experience managing Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning in agriculture, and experience working across multiple disciplines including agronomy, climate adaptation, and food security and nutrition.
- Background in agricultural development, innovation processes, and knowledge management, and recent and substantial experience working in international agricultural research are requirements.
- Solution-oriented thinking and multi-disciplinary focus that allows interacting effectively with other areas of knowledge including big data for agriculture, data science, climate science, agronomy, amongst others.
- Extensive experience and formal training in knowledge management systems especially where these are designed to monitor and enhance development impact from agricultural research.
- Prior experience managing research teams with members from different disciplines.
- Specific experience in digital product / tool management including tracking progress, quality assurance, and course correction.
- Track record of bilateral fund raising. Demonstrated ability to write scientific publications would be a plus.
- Excellent/proven English writing skills. Other languages (e.g., Spanish, French) would be a plus.
- Experience working on collaborative projects as part of an international team.
The position is internationally recruited and will be supervised by Director, Climate Action and Lever Director, Digital Inclusion. The initial contract will be for two (2) years, subject to a probation period of six (6) months, and is renewable depending on performance and availability of resources. This role will be home based for at least the first 2 years, with travel as needed (and agreed between the incumbent and their supervisors) to other Alliance hubs or project locations. This is a position at level 10 (BG10), in a scale of 14 levels, with level 14 being the highest.
The Alliance Bioversity-CIAT offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits. We are an equal opportunity employer, and strive for gender, diversity and inclusion in our staff, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, marital status, or any other characteristic.