This role requires handling insects in different stages of development, preparing insect feed, and varied physical work both outdoors and indoors. Weekly tasks include the maintenance of clean insect trays with feed, owning the entire lifecycle of BSFL production and commercialization and facilitating training to support the commercialization and mainstreaming of insect farming. The incumbent must be comfortable lifting items up to 30kg and performing manual labour, with repetitive tasks.
Working closely with and reporting to the Entomologist, the incumbent will be required but not limited to;-
- Insect Production & Learning—70%
- Manage all the company directly-implemented Black Soldier Fly production, commercialisation, and upscaling actions according to the strategic and operational plan.
- Ensure that contamination management procedures and guidelines put in place are exhaustively implemented for all new lines.
- Conduct Bioprospecting of new candidate BSF to include into the existing mass production protocols, and support the laboratory life table studies on the newly collected cultures.
- Facilitate, support and initiate digitized baseline, monitoring and evaluation data collection and other assessments and generate relevant reports as well as support concept paper development at the field level as part of the company’s fundraising efforts.
- Facilitate/support collaboration and cross-learning within the company through information sharing, exposure visits and active partner participation in company platforms/forums.
- Facilitate company-initiated innovation initiatives, which may include incubation and prototyping to enhance uptake of Black Soldier fly farming and commercialisation.
- Relationship Management—30%
- Development and execution of detailed implementation plans, having a teaching and facilitative role, staff supervision as well as monitoring and evaluation aspects of BSF commercialisation of the project.
- Network and coordinate with other organizations, stakeholders and Government agencies and explore/advise on possible areas for collaboration/partnerships to enhance program synergy.
- Facilitate logistical arrangements for company staff, consultant field visits and donor/stakeholder visits in consultation with the Entomologist.
- Perform any other responsibilities as determined and assigned by the Entomologist from time to time.
- Demonstrable skills and hands-on experience in black soldier flies’ production, commercialisation, and upscaling – working closely with smallholder farmers and budding entrepreneurs is an added advantage.
- Demonstrable capacity to showcase business capacity development and support, more so within the agricultural value-chain including training facilitation; Capacity to deliver business ideation, linkage, marketing, and capacity building initiatives for smallholder farmers is an added advantage.
- Demonstrated capacity to showcase enterprise and entrepreneurial action, including incubation, mentorship, and market linkages for better economic outcomes.
- Tertiary-level education in Entrepreneurship, Business Development, Agriculture, Agricultural Economics, or any other relevant academic qualification.
- Technical knowledge of experimental methods used in Agricultural Entomology.
- Good interpersonal skills, and a proven team player. Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to provide training on complex concepts. Self-driven and results orientated in challenging rural working environments.