Established in 2006, AGRA is an African-led and Africa-based institution that puts smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. Together with our partners, we are working to sustainably grow Africa’s food systems.
AGRA strengthens seed systems, develops and promotes sustainable farming practices, helps unlock trade and markets, and supports governments who lead their countries’ development. We work with farmers to adapt to climate change, increase soil health, and protect the environment. AGRA believes deeply in the urgency of reducing the inequality that women face in agriculture, and to unlocking the power and innovation of youth.
FOLU is a self-governed Coalition of organizations and individuals working collaboratively to achieve a shared objective: the urgent transformation of food and land use systems to deliver a better future for people, nature and climate. FOLU supports science-based solutions and helps to build a shared understanding of the challenges and opportunities to unlock collective, ambitious action. Globally, FOLU country platforms are operating in: China, Colombia, Ethiopia, India, Indonesia and now in Kenya to build consensus and a movement towards the transformation of food and land use systems. FOLU also has partner networks in Australia, the UK and the Nordic region.
FOLU has been active in sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) since 2018 through its partnership with AGRA and the publication of reports such as the People, Health and Nature: a Sub-Saharan African Transformation Agenda. In this phase of its implementation strategy, FOLU is looking to engage more deeply in Africa through the establishment of country platforms/coalitions as is the case of Kenya. With resources mobilized from its partners, the FOLU programme seeks to hire a Programme Officer to lead coalition building activities. The position will be based in AGRA which is playing a leading role in FOLU’s engagement in SSA.
FOLU Kenya is the newest of the Food and Land Use Coalition (FOLU)’s country platforms, hosted by AGRA, in partnership WRI Africa and GAIN, with support from the Kenyan government. FOLU is a self-governed coalition of organisations and individuals working collaboratively to achieve a shared objective: the urgent transformation of food and land use systems to deliver a better future for people, nature and climate. The objective of the FOLU Kenya platform is to accelerate food systems transformation to ensure the country is able to feed its people with adequate and nutritious food, while taking into consideration climate and environment factors. The FOLU Kenya Program Manager will play a critical role understanding the challenges and opportunities for food systems in the country and lead the development of evidence-based solutions. Through the FOLU Kenya platform, the Manager will lead the convening of food system stakeholders in Kenya including government agencies, private sector development organizations, farmer federations and civil society organizations, to unlock collective, ambitious actions at the national and county levels.
To support this objective therefore, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the role of Food & Land Use (FOLU) Kenya Country Coordinator.
At AGRA we believe Agriculture is the single greatest opportunity to deliver inclusive economic growth, jobs, and health to the African continent. An alliance led by Africans with roots in farming communities across the continent combined with an inclusive and diverse workforce from 24 nationalities. Our values of (I-RISE; Integrity, Respect, Innovation, Stewardship and Equity.) espouse our commitment to a call to action to go beyond ourselves as we arise and transform Africa’s Agriculture.
When you join us, we present you with intellectually stimulating assignments and structured career advancement with 30% of open roles being filled internally through promotions and transfers, and a Leadership commitment for this ratio to increase. This is after setting you up for success with a World Class Onboarding for new hires where a bespoke induction trains on all aspects of the role that you will need to succeed. You will gain a full understanding of our lofty ambitions to transform African agriculture, and how you can contribute to an amazing employee experience.
We are looking for people who are passionate about Africa, curious and collaborative to join our innovative, growing, and multidisciplinary team.
For more information on AGRA, applicants can visit www.agra.org
In this role, the incumbent will play an essential part in the Food and Land Use (FOLU) Coalition’s ambition to make the case for the urgent transformation of food and land use systems in Kenya. H/She will lead the FOLU country platform in Kenya and serve as a bridge between this country platform, FOLU partners and the FOLU Secretariat. Substantive technical, policy and engagement experience in the food sector, as well as a proven track record of working with the Kenyan national government, civil society and private sector partners to pursue policy objectives, will be critical.
- Shape the growing work of FOLU Kenya, including interventions that will help operationalize and deliver on the prioritized Critical Transitions outlined in FOLU’s Growing better report and fully aligned with Kenya’s ambition of transforming its food systems, including 1) Healthier diets 2) Productive and regenerative agriculture 3) Protecting and restoring nature 4) Reducing food loss and waste. You will grow integrated workstreams that promote systemic and integrated solutions to food, nature, diets and land in national planning and private sector decision-making.
- Lead the development of a FOLU Kenya strategy in consultation with FOLU Kenya core partners (AGRA, WRI Africa, GAIN) and associated programs.
- Provide oversight of FOLU Kenya (hosted by AGRA) including supervision, coaching, and programmatic support to staff; include leading, supporting, and building the FOLU country teams.
- Lead on organizing workshops and outreach events to communicate progress and disseminate information.
- Identify new and maintain existing relationships with foundations and donor agencies; develop and lead outreach to research and project proposals, with an ambition to seek medium to large multi-year funding opportunities for integrated sustainable programming.
- Manage partnership agreements that provide research and analytical support for the action agenda, financing plan, and other outputs.
- Mobilize resources for new and existing programs to grow the FOLU Kenya program portfolio.
- Scope and identify funding opportunities and implementing partner for coalition building.
- Identify collaborating and or parallel programs that complement FOLU Kenya programs.
- Provide visible leadership in the public arena and establish, cultivate, and facilitate relationships with key stakeholders to advance a FOLU approach in agriculture, food, and land use forums.
- Represent the coalition in high level meetings in government and in the civil society and private sector arena, nationally and internationally.
- Work with FOLU partners to engage and build relationships with local and nation-wide officials and policymakers to advocate for policies and practices that support the adoption of a FOLU approach in Kenya.
- Work with FOLU Kenya platform partners respective grants and contracts colleagues to comply with grant making policies and procedures.
- Position the coalition strategically with key stakeholders in the public, private, and NGO sectors.
- Work to build trust and collaborative work between the institutions involved in the coalition to meet program goals.
- Author or co-author sections of national Action Agenda documents that seeks to transform Kenya’s food and land use systems; updating over time to maintain best science and best practice.
- Oversee analytical work that makes an economic case for prioritized land use options and identify new financing options.
- Lead on the development of an investment portfolio, including proposal development, to accelerate a sustainable food and land use system in Kenya.
- Document findings and progress of programs and activities in written quarterly reports to coalition members and other relevant partners, including delivering specific results that the FOLU country team want to accomplish in Kenya.
- Review the grant documents and advise the grantee on donor compliance, policies, and procedures as relevant and required.
- Report and present coalition progress and program findings through publications and presentations at national meetings and conferences and to donor agencies.
- Review all communications and outreach materials to ensure they are technically sound; and they comply with the Government of Kenya’s requirements.
- Build and nurture effective multi-organizational coalitions, providing leadership in negotiations with partners to implement and promote the FOLU Action Agenda.
- Identify a group of high-profile Kenyan FOLU ambassadors that can contribute to the Action Agenda. Engage them for strategic communication efforts that support scale up of proposed actions.
- Develop engagement strategy, and communication plan, and oversee regular communications.
- Serve as a focal point for the Kenyan FOLU ambassadors and plan their engagement with targeted audiences.
- Recruit new high-profile influencers in multiple fields in full consultation with coalition members.
- Coordinate with the FOLU global team to connect national Goodwill Ambassadors to strategic international efforts as appropriate.
- A Doctorate degree, in development, food and or agriculture, climate change or sustainability studies, agronomist or related fields (or master’s degree with a minimum of 15 years of experience).
- Minimum 5 years of experience in relevant work areas, primarily in Africa.
- Senior-Level experience designing and implementing programs and/or policy and regulatory reform in a relevant sector.
- Experience in environment, land management, food systems initiatives in a similar environment will be an added advantage.
- Experience in building coalitions or networks of organizations.
- Experience managing complex initiatives (profit and not-for-profit) with proven ability to develop high impact partnerships.
- Familiar with and experience in working with R&D and analytics organizations.
- Analytical, excellent data mining ability.
- Strong ability to influence positively both upwards and downwards across cultures and countries.
- Deep understanding of both the government and private sector policies and governance structures.
- Results and detail orientated with a hands-on approach.
- Excellent problem solving/decision making skills.
- Intelligent, motivated self-starter with strong interpersonal skills and work ethic.
- Fluency in English required; ability to communicate in French will be an advantage.