icipe is a pan-African Centre of excellence in research for development and capacity building in insect science and its applications. Its mission is to help alleviate poverty, ensure food and nutritional security and improve the overall health status of peoples of the tropics by developing and extending management tools and strategies for harmful and useful arthropods, while preserving the natural resource base. Since its establishment in 1970, icipe has become a significant contributor to science and innovation required to meet the health and food security challenges of sub-Saharan Africa. The Centre has achieved this status by developing alternative and environmentally friendly pest and vector management technologies and products that are effective, selective, non-polluting, non-resistance inducing, and are affordable to resource-limited rural and urban communities. icipe is headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya and has operations in more than 40 African countries and thriving partnerships with universities and research organizations across the world. Employing close to 500 international and national staff, icipe also has approximately 150 graduate students who contribute to its research portfolio annually.
icipe is seeking an outstanding, dynamic and self-motivated Director of Finance and Administration (DFA). The DFA provides leadership to the Finance and Administration functions of the Centre, incorporating responsibility for a large mixed workforce of professional and non-professional staff operating under various Units and in various locations. Working under the overall guidance of the Director General, the DFA sets the strategic direction for the Unit managers, ensures alignment of resources with the functions, prepares the Units for change and motivates and inspires the teams, leading to maximization of the value of the resources deployed and the achievement of the objectives, vision and mission of the Centre. icipe’s Vision and Strategy 2021–2025 is available at this link: http://www.icipe.org/system/files_force/about/corporate_publications_files/icipe_Vision_and_Strategy_ 2021-2025.pdf The position is tenable in Nairobi at the icipe Headquarter, Duduville campus. Salary and benefits for the position are commensurate with the seniority of the position.
The Director of Finance and administration (DFA) provides leadership to the Finance and Administration functions of the Centre, incorporating responsibility for a large mixed workforce of professional and nonprofessional staff operating under various Units and in various locations. These Units include Finance, Budget, People Resources, Procurement and Liaison, Facilities and Assets, ICT, Transport, Hospitality, VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT (Ref. No. IRS/509/092022) Research Station Offices, and Security. The DFA sets the strategic direction for the Unit managers, ensures alignment of resources with the functions, prepares the Units for change and motivates and inspires the teams, leading to maximization of the value of the resources deployed and the achievement of the objectives of the Centre.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Ensure ongoing risk analysis and establish and coordinate the financial systems; oversee existence of a robust internal controls system and the maintenance of sound accounting practices, policies and procedures for the Centre that track operations and ensure protection of the Centre’s assets.
- Ensure financial stability and viability of the Centre through proper finance planning and management. Direct and monitor the Centre’s institutional and project budgetary procedures and the Centre’s medium-term financial projections. Contribute to the development of key and complex project initiatives and guide vote-holders in developing, amending and monitoring project and institutional budgets within established financial guidelines.
- Oversee and develop procedures to ensure the timely, accurate and complete preparation of all financial and operational reports for Management, Donors, and the Governing Council. Manage relationship with auditors and follow-up on matters arising from the audit of the entity and from project audits and ensure that they are dealt with in a timely and complete manner.
- Lead, manage, coach, mentor and support managers directly supervised in furtherance of the objective of delivering quality services to internal/external customers. Assure adequate placement, training, and evaluation of personnel within an atmosphere that encourages motivation, innovation, teamwork, and high performance. Set performance objectives, monitor progress, and manage and evaluate performance of personnel to ensure the Units provide effective and efficient client focused services and solutions.
- Keep up to date with new rules and regulations and new concepts, techniques and technologies. Review, analyze, recommend and implement system and technological enhancements which contribute positively to the efficient and effective operations of the Centre and position icipe in line with best standards in global practice in support of the Centre’s world class research work.
- Maintain thorough knowledge and understanding of the Centre’s business and its agreements and ensure that the Centre is supported by an efficient and effective operations platform, and that a strong culture of compliance is adopted in accordance with organizational/donor/investment policies and procedures. Handle relevant legal and institutional activities and ensure financial compliance as outlined in agreements.
- Coordinate, develop and maintain business plans for the Finance and Administration Units at the Centre. Assess the financial, material, people and informational requirements implicit in the plans and continuously adopt them to ways in which financial, material, people, and informational requirements can be achieved. Promote good stewardship, values and accountability through effective innovative systems, policies, procedures and capacity enhancement processes and methods that improve efficiency, productivity, preservation and security of people and assets.
- Support other leaders and managers to handle complexity and to control and solve problems through the provision of information and advice and development and administration of policies and procedures. Proactively support other leaders and managers, the Director General and the Governing Council in developing and implementing business plans, in strategic analysis and advice on the optimal use of the Centre’s resources.
- An advanced degree in Management (MBA/MA) and an internationally recognized professional accounting qualification.
- Twenty years of work experience, ten of which would have been gained in a financial management leadership position within international development organizations, research institutions, or multiple grants receiving organizations.
- Advanced analytical skills, including ability to solve problems efficiently and effectively and respond productively to change.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with ability to effectively present information and communicate visions and directives to personnel at all levels of the organization.
- Excellent leadership and management skills, including ability to motivate staff to meet goals and objectives.
- A trust and relationship builder with excellent interpersonal skills, including ability to interact effectively with stakeholders at all levels and individuals with diversified backgrounds and nationalities.
- High level of organizational and planning skills with attention to detail that enables one to work effectively under pressure, meet deadlines, maintain a high degree of judgment and deliver accurate and complete results.
This position reports to the Director General.
This position is open until filled. Interested applicants should submit: (a) a confidential cover letter setting out their suitability against the listed requirements for the role; (b) detailed CV and (c) names and addresses of 3 referees.
Living in Nairobi, Kenya
Nairobi, the capital city of Kenya, is cosmopolitan with a population of over four million people. It hosts all the urban and social amenities, and offers a comfortable, convenient and pleasurable life. A wide variety of excellent international schools and well-equipped medical facilities are open 24/7 in Nairobi. The city is also accessible by various reputable international airline carriers. Nairobi is a regional hub of many commercial and non-governmental organizations and has a thriving international research scene, hosting various CGIAR centres, as well as several UN agencies. Although it is important to be conscious of security, Kenyans are warm and welcoming of visitors.