The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
Deputy to the Finance Manager – Grants, responsible for overseeing and monitoring the budgets and expenses of CIFOR-ICRAF, Africa Hub. Assign new projects to the Senior Finance and Finance Officers and maintain/update
the list of project assignments. Coordinate and supervise the preparation of budgets for restricted projects for inclusion in the Annual Programme of Work and Budget in CIFOR-ICRAF, Africa Hub.
1. Oversee the monitoring of Budget and Actual Expenses of restricted grants in the CIFOR-ICRAF, Africa Hub
- A complete record of all pertinent documents of each project, coordinate with the senior finance officers and various project leaders to ensure that the financial implementation adheres with all the other aspects of the project agreement.
- Coordinate with donors, collaborators, project leaders and scientists to clarify financial issues.
- Ensure finance officers have answered queries and give update on the financial and budget status of projects assigned.
- Review financial status of the project prepared by the Senior Accountant and finance officers.
- Review and verify expenditures of restricted projects assigned to ensure adherence to budgetary and donor requirements.
- Liaise with the Program Management Unit (PMU) regarding the development of Letter of Agreement (LoA) with partner Institutions, project start-ups and set ups in Mytree and OCS, budget update and management in OCS and project tracking & closures.
- 2. Annual Budget and rolling budget updates
Collaborate with PMU regarding staff time allocation updated in OCS planner.
- Collaborate with PMU on budgets for partnerships, travel, supplies, consultants, publications, and other costs based on the availability of funds of on-going restricted projects.
- Review the overall annual budgets once posted in OCS by PMU of grants in CIFOR-ICRAF, Africa Hub.
3. Donor Reporting
- Approve reports for signature on the specific projects’ finances to donors and other users in compliance with Center standards and as specifically pre-determined by the donor as mentioned on the signed Grant Agreements and Donor’s General Conditions.
- Review the donor financial reports prepared by the Senior Accountant.
- Ensure that reports to donors are submitted on time and maintain the KPI for CIFOR-ICRAF, Africa Hub.
- Ensure final financial reports and workings are submitted in MyTree system.
- Monitor restricted grant financial management support to CIFOR-ICRAF, Africa Hub by the senior finance and finance officers.
4. Grant Proposal Budgets and revised Budgets for On-going Projects
- Key resource for project proposal/budget preparation regarding compliance issues for prospective sources of funding.
- Review and approve revised budget for on-going projects prepared by the Senior finance and finance officers.
- Ensure that the grants recover full overheads as per relevant cost structure.
- Provide guidance and ensure the budget figures are correct and the budget lines follow the donor requirements.
5. Grant Agreements
- Review the financial part and other relevant information of the new Grant Agreements and Grant agreement amendments of CIFOR-ICRAF, Africa Hub.
6. Internal Reporting
- Collaborate with PMU on the update of the 3 years staff time plan on quarterly basis or as necessary.
- Ensure that the monthly summary of restricted projects with multi-year budgets and cumulative expenses is updated.
- Prepare and review the monthly summary of cash flow (projected incoming and expenses of restricted project) to be used by the Head of Treasury and Fixed Assets.
7. Special Audit of Restricted Projects
- Coordinate and attend entry and exit meetings on audit of projects for grants in Africa hub for CIFORICRAF.
- Key resource on queries from the external auditors on restricted grants for Africa Hub for CIFOR -ICRAF.
- Review the draft audit report and provide draft management responses on CIFOR-ICRAF, Africa Hub.
- Review partner audit report in relation to project requirement.
- Assist in the preparation of restricted grants schedules and information requested and required for the annual statutory audit.
- Assist in Finance Audit findings updates for Africa Hub and follow-up with respective staff to ensure they are closed.
8. Time system
- Prepare the monthly summary of staff time for assigned projects.
- Monitor and ensure that staff time are in accordance with the budget and the time sheets are recorded/adjusted appropriately.
- Review and verify time system for use in monthly staff costs. Assist with follow up time sheet issues with staff from the finance officers.
9. Daily and Monthly Operations
- Verify and approve the journal vouchers prepared by the Senior Finance officers.
- Monitor donor receivables and payables. Assist in ensuring that receivables are collected. Review donor payables remind project leaders if there is slow spending.
- Provide explanation on the monthly summary of donor receivables and payables >USD 50K, prepared by Treasury team.
- Assist and ensure incoming funds from restricted donors are identified and code provided to the Head of Treasury and Fixed Assets.
10. Restricted Grants Partners Financial Management Monitoring
- Implement partner financial monitoring tools and mechanisms. Advice on where improvements can be done.
- Supervise financial compliance for all restricted grants partners of assigned grants and ensure partners spend within their budgets and are following the laid down donor and/or CIFOR-ICRAF financial procedures and regulations.
- Ensure and follow up on financial reporting for partners on assigned restricted grants.
- Analyze restricted grants partner expenses and provide feedback of analysis to the project leaders and managers on expenditure trends and areas with significant over or under spending.
- Communicate with partners assigned on areas of weaknesses and steps to take to mitigate the risks and internal control issues.
- Master’s degree in accounting with at least 7 years of relevant experience.
- CPA K.
- Experience in financial and accounting services.
- Experience in project or cost accounting.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Experience with an ERP, familiarity with Agresso Unit 4 and Vision XL is an advantage.
- Strong computer skills in word processing, database and other relevant office applications.
- Strong analytical and supervisory skills.
- Competent in personal organization and priority setting, with the ability to work efficiently under time pressure and manage multiple priorities.
- Has initiative and capable of working independently as well as an effective team player.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to effectively interact with people in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment.
- Experience working with a wide and diverse network of groups and individuals.
- Able to work with minimum supervision.