icipe is a pan-African Centre of excellence in research for development and capacity building in insect science and its applications. Its mission is to help alleviate poverty, ensure food and nutritional security and improve the overall health status of peoples of the tropics by developing and extending management tools and strategies for harmful and useful arthropods, while preserving the natural resource base. Since its establishment in 1970, icipe has become a significant contributor to science and innovation required to meet the health and food security challenges of sub-Saharan Africa. The Centre has achieved this status by developing alternative and environmentally friendly pest and vector management technologies and products that are effective, selective, non-polluting, non-resistance inducing, and are affordable to resource-limited rural and urban communities. icipe is headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya and has operations in more than 40 African countries and thriving partnerships with universities and research organizations across the world. Employing close to 500 international and national staff, icipe also has approximately 150 graduate students who contribute to its research portfolio annually.
Please also download icipe’s Vision and Strategy 2021–2025 http://www.icipe.org/system/files_force/about/corporate_publications_files/icipe_Vision_and_Strategy_20 21-2025.pdf.
icipe seeks to recruit a Business Support Officer I (Library Assistant) in the Information Resource Centre (under Capacity Building & Institutional Development Programme). The position is tenable in Nairobi at the icipe Duduville campus. This is a two-year contract, renewable subject to continued position needs, funding for the position, and performance of the staff member. This is a nationally recruited position. A competitive compensation package will be offered to the right candidate. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Overall Purpose of the Job
Reporting to the Information Resource Centre Coordinator, the Library Assistant is responsible for the dayto-day running of the library including manning the circulation desk, providing reference and information services for icipe’s research staff and students, and training in information literacy. The Library Assistant is responsible for new collection processing and organizing library materials in accordance with international standards for efficient access by users.
- Acquisition and cataloguing of Information Resource Centre (IRC) (library) resources.
- Charging and discharging IRC information resources to users for various information needs.
- Provision of reference and information services to users including how to search the OPAC and e-library for effective use of library materials.
- Handle daily library duties including shelving books, shelf-reading, maintaining library displays and ordering supplies for the IRC.
- Carry out orientation of new users to ensure effective use of library resources. VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT (Ref. No. NRS/516/122022) INTERNAL ADVERTISEMENT
- Develop IRC standard operating procedures and processes, manuals and documentations.
- Work with IRC Team to develop and conduct workshops, promotional activities and information literacy trainings.
- Contribute to the collection development of the library.
- Upload scholarly works to icipe and RSIF digital repositories.
- Facilitate publisher trainings for Africa Host Universities (AHUs) and monitor usage of the eresources.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Library and Information Sciences, or similar from an accredited university.
- 2 year’s work experience in a relevant field preferably in a research institution.
- Experience in using library management systems for acquisitions, cataloguing, circulation, OPAC and reporting.
- Knowledge of and experience in library collection development and search procedures relating to scholarly databases.
- Experience in delivering training in information literacy and offering reference services for improved access to information resources.
- Experience in working with digital library and repository systems.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
Other Desirable Attributes
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, organizational skills and pays great attention to details.
- Action-oriented and resilient in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to manage a complex and varied workload and work under pressure.
- Ability to works with multi-disciplinary groups.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- This position reports to the Information Resource Centre Coordinator.
Applications will be accepted up to 19 th January 2023. Interested applicants should submit: (a) a confidential coverletter; (b) detailed CV with names and addresses of 3 referees, including e-mail addresses; and (c) a statementillustrating suitability against the listed qualifications/competencies/abilities, and skills.